FFNet Chapter body problem 9.5

aspen28570

FFNet Chapter body problem 9.5

Post by aspen28570 »

For some reason the downloader will randomly skip chapter body text, it will have have multple chapters headings back to back with no body, but only randomly.
Example:

Chapter1
[body]
Chapter 2
[body]
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
[body]
Chapter 6
Chapter7
[body}

and so on. and it will change what chapter bodies it skips on redownload.

Win 10 32 bit
PC
Admin and non admin rights (does it with both)
wireless (and stable)
comicbookfan

Re: FFNet Chapter body problem 9.5

Post by comicbookfan »

I am seeing the same problem on many ff.net downloads.
Tried it on 2 different pc's, same thing.
Tried reinstalling fanficdownloader, same thing.
A re-download of the story may result in different chapter bodies being dropped, the same chapter bodies being dropped, sometimes all chapter bodies being dropped.
I tried using pauses of 3-9 seconds between chapter downloads in the configuration. Did not help.
All likely due to ff.nets dod protection issues

Here are two fics where it happened:
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/13333521/1/
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/14031224/1/

Question: if trying to reinstall, how do I wipe all traces of previous installs? Configuration settings keep coming back and I wasn't sure if any problems might come with them.
AussieColin

Post by AussieColin »

I'm having the same problem. I went back to version 9.4 because 9.5 was popping up a window for every chapter as it downloaded them. However 9.4 showed the problem above of having chapter headings with no body to them.
Going back to 9.5 did not help with this problem - I just hadn't noticed it because I uninstalled as soon as the popups appeared. It's clearly being caused by the use of CloudFlare and the captcha software and not a bug, but PLEASE fix it if you can. Although the popup windows are irritating, the missing chapters is not an issue that can be just ignored - it has made the software almost useless. That's terribly disappointing when it's been such a great utility for so many years. :-(
Hexatona

Post by Hexatona »

I recommend taking a slower approach to downloading.

First, use check, and not check and download.

Second, in the configuration, set the Delay and Random timers to 20 seconds.

This should get you all the way there, but, in the off chance that it doesn't stop the cloudflare hiccups (you should definitely get way less), just redo the chapters that are missing and edit them in with notepad++ or something.

Yes, it's a ton slower, but it works, and that's really what matters.
Gleam

Post by Gleam »

I had the same problems (empty chapter's body and pop ups) after updating to 9.5. But after uninstalling FFDL (with deletion of folders in Program Files and AppData) and reboot, then installing 9.4, both problems seems to disappear. Although I use 5 sec constant + 5 sec variable delay timers for downloading and .html output format. Windows 10 x64.
AussieColin

Post by AussieColin »

Unfortunately the fix of inserting a delay doesn't seem to work for me. I've put a 5 second delay in both 'downloading' and 'dynamic' but it won't even begin to download any more. It just displays a popup that says that it is 'Checking security' and then freezes up no matter how long I leave it.
abzb13

Post by abzb13 »

The underlying problem is that they have updated their captcha at least twice since the last update, and this program can no longer pass it at all - we're waiting on the creator to swoop in and save us once again.

The previous problem where random chapters had empty bodies was, I suspect, either a result of their latest ad layout interacting badly with the program, or an update prior to the current one (that blocks the program from making even the first access) only catching it sometimes.

I myself was getting random empty chapters (on 9/5) even with all delays set to maximum...
AussieColin

Post by AussieColin »

I'm now finding that FFDownloader just won't work at all on FF.net. It displays a popup with the captcha message and then just stalls on that no matter how long I wait. I've relied on FFDownloader as a great program for so long; it would be wonderful if it could work again. ::looks hopeful:: :-)
rowbry092364

Post by rowbry092364 »

i just figured out why they block your downloader program they want you to pay a fee so you can access the site
kassiekie

Post by kassiekie »

Tried this - did not work unfortunately.
Hexatona wrote: Thu 21. Jul 2022, 16:39 I recommend taking a slower approach to downloading.

First, use check, and not check and download.

Second, in the configuration, set the Delay and Random timers to 20 seconds.

This should get you all the way there, but, in the off chance that it doesn't stop the cloudflare hiccups (you should definitely get way less), just redo the chapters that are missing and edit them in with notepad++ or something.

Yes, it's a ton slower, but it works, and that's really what matters.