Extra code in downloads over the last few days

fanficjunkie

Extra code in downloads over the last few days

Post by fanficjunkie »

My downloads from June 7th to current all have extra code at the top of each chapter. This is an example of what I am seeing after each chapter heading:

Share <a class='a2a_button_facebook' style='border:none'> <a class='a2a_button_twitter' style='border:none'> <a class='a2a_button_google_gmail' style='border:none'> <a class='a2a_button_google_buzz' style='border:none'> <a class='a2a_button_livejournal' style='border:none'> <a class='a2a_button_wordpress' style='border:none'> <a class='a2a_button_blogger_post' style='border:none'> <g:plusone size='medium' count='false'></g:plusone>
RedneckDrow

Re: Extra code in downloads over the last few days

Post by RedneckDrow »

Use the new version. :D
Raimond
Administrator

Post by Raimond »

RedneckDrow wrote:Use the new version. :D
perfect answer!
fanficjunkie

Post by fanficjunkie »

Thank you for your responses. I have downloaded the new version several times on a few different computers over time and cannot get it to work for me. It always stalls near the end. I just downloaded it and calibre again and it always stalls at 85%, no matter which format I use. It just won't download any stories for me. The old downloader seemed so much simpler, and it always downloaded documents and went right up to 100%. I guess I'm doing something wrong, but I always have the same problem with it.
Raimond
Administrator

Post by Raimond »

Hi,

did you configure the program? Stalling means that you didn't configure the path to calibre correctly.
Please watch this video: http://fanfictiondownloader.net/ffdlpraes.htm

Rai
pookakitten

Post by pookakitten »

What about the extra code? ff.net just added a social networking share type thing, which is what the OP is referring to. I'm seeing it on stories I download and I'm using the latest test version (with auto-paste, etc.).
fanficjunkie

Post by fanficjunkie »

Raimond wrote:Hi,

did you configure the program? Stalling means that you didn't configure the path to calibre correctly.
Please watch this video: http://fanfictiondownloader.net/ffdlpraes.htm

Rai
Thank you for your help. I used that video the first time I installed the downloader and calibre this week. I uninstalled both and reinstalled them this morning. I installed them again clicking only the things mentioned in the video. It's stalling at 50% now. I noticed a few things, and I'm not sure if they are matter or not. The version I downloaded is 0.3.1, and it's noting that there is another version online-0.3.2. The other thing I noticed is that when I close it out and re-open it, the configurations are gone. I'm guessing this is because I've never been able to successfully download anything with it. I followed that video step by step twice and I don't know what else I can do. I guess I'll keep using 4.0.5 and edit it out the code at the top of each chapter when I'm ready to read something.
Raimond
Administrator

Post by Raimond »

pookakitten wrote:What about the extra code? ff.net just added a social networking share type thing, which is what the OP is referring to. I'm seeing it on stories I download and I'm using the latest test version (with auto-paste, etc.).
I've socially removed the social code with the social version 0.3.2 :D I hate social networks...

If the config is gone it means that you've placed the program somewhere where it's not allowed to create the config file.
There are several ways to fix it:
- Change your account rights to administrator and turn the stupid UAC off
- place the program somehwere where it's allowed to create the configfile (e.g. MYDocuments)
- run it as admin

you could also use the webdownloader, it's working great since one week.

Rai
fanficjunkie

Post by fanficjunkie »

Thanks again for your help. I did what you suggested and was able to get it to configure the paths to calibre and to where the documents should go. I realized that I actually put the wrong spot in my documents for it, but it won't seem to let me change it to where it's supposed to be (another spot in my documents). I re-configure it and click save, plug in the link and it keeps putting it in the old spot. I have saved and restarted and the old configuration keeps showing up. Even when I put in the new configuration and try right away, it will only put it in the old spot. From the menu, it looks like the new configuration is working until I close the ff downloader, then the old configuration shows back up (and again, the new configuration never put documents in the new spot anyways).

I am able to download documents though, so that's great. I will give the web downloader a try too. Much appreciated.
Berry

Post by Berry »

Raimond wrote:
RedneckDrow wrote:Use the new version. :D
perfect answer!
Alas, this is not a perfect solution for someone like myself, because even though the new version is really great and I also use it a lot, the old version allows me to download fics into multiple files of single chapters each, and also formats rtfs correctly, which the new version simply does not, despite Raimond's efforts to solve the problem (which I do appreciate).