Request: Layout options

You want a new feature? That's the place to talk about it.
Raimond
Administrator

Re: Request: Layout options

Post by Raimond »

Hi,

Basically, the layout file is (currently) created after the first story download. The intended(!) target is the same directory that FFDL is installed to.
Seems like Applications aren't allowed to write in this directory anymopre if they are started with normal user rights.
So instead windows redirect the write and read path somewhere to C:\users\<usersame>\appData......
Look there for layout.html
In the future, I plan for a layout folder where you can place several layouts and select one for the story, maybe even an editor of some kind.
The double mention of "*Chapter 1: Chapter1" happens if an author sets the chaptername to "chapter 1".

I've added the star (asterix) so that you can search for "*Chapter x" if you want to go to a specific chapter. Don't know if anyone uses it, but I use this quiet often.

Rai
bahnannah

Post by bahnannah »

you are absolutely fantastic. woohoo!
troyguffey

Post by troyguffey »

bahnannah wrote:we used to be able to go into the layout file and edit it. i don't see one anymore. my problem is purely aesthetic. it shows chapters as *Chapter XYZ*: Chapter XYZ and I'd like to eliminate the double name. If I could figure out the regex search function I would do it manually in Sigil but I can't and doing it individually is a pain when the stories have 60+ chapters.
I think the problem you mentioned is either the chapter is actually NAMED Chapter XYZ, or else not named at all.

The actual template for that is probably Chapter 999*: ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ (Last time I worked with templates was 1988?)(Chapter [three-digit numeric]*: [Alphanumeric Mixed-case String]
TheLandYacht

Post by TheLandYacht »

I know I'm resurrecting an ancient thread, but I'm hunting for that layout.html file and finding diddly squat in either of the below locations. This on Win10, using FFDL 0.9.1. Has it been moved elsewhere or another method implemented?

C:\Users\User\AppData (any subfolders, of which there seem to be thousands...thanx to Plex Media Server)
C:\Program Files (x86)\FanFictionDownloader
Raimond wrote: Sun 30. Aug 2015, 20:56 Basically, the layout file is (currently) created after the first story download. The intended(!) target is the same directory that FFDL is installed to.
Seems like Applications aren't allowed to write in this directory anymopre if they are started with normal user rights.
So instead windows redirect the write and read path somewhere to C:\users\<usersame>\appData......
Look there for layout.html
NileQT

Post by NileQT »

One thing that is a bit annoying is how thick the margins are with no ability to reduce them. These are crazy inch-thick margins.

A lot of e-books have tiny or non-existent margins in order to maximize the amount of text per line (when using a speech-to-text reader, this stops it from pausing too often at every new line) and readability at even very small text sizes.

Ability to edit margin size (as one can do in Calibre) in the settings would be an amazing customization feature for FFD.