A Download Queue and a non-dependent system (Done)

You want a new feature? That's the place to talk about it.
RedneckDrow

A Download Queue and a non-dependent system (Done)

Post by RedneckDrow »

I'd like the ability to queue multiple stories, and the ability to concurrently download them. You can do this in Graffer, and I'd like to see it here.

:ugeek: Also, I've used your programs for years, and I don't like dependencies on other programs. That erases portability. For example: Graffer is dependent upon the .net framework 3.5, which can cause portability problems.Yours is somewhat limited without Calibre. Calibre is great, yeah, but there's still little excuse for you not to copy-paste the code into your own program and give credit to the Calibre team, because it's open source. Yes, that would increase the size of the program a little, but I believe it's a fair trade. :ugeek: (You could optimize the .exe with the LZMA SDK from 7zip.)

Other than that, your programs are great! :D Thank you for making both the original ffdl and this version. There isn't a single day that I don't use it.
Raimond
Administrator

Re: A Download Queue and a non-dependent system

Post by Raimond »

Hi,

I'm thinking about the queue input, put I can't promise it.

Yes, portabillity is a problem, I've solved it on my systems by installing calibre on all of my computers. The downloader itself is saved in a sync-folder (Dropbox). The only Problem is that the Calibrepath is different depending on the 32Bit or 64Bit OS.

I've read the Calibrelicense and I'm not allowed to take code from them and use it as long as I'm not publishing the source code of my application. Since I'm not going to do this that's no option.

There is still a way to create a mobile version. But the download of the file would be around 50MB, extracted something around 140MB. Do you think that's ok?

Rai
RedneckDrow

Post by RedneckDrow »

Yeah, I double checked the Calibre license after I posted. Bummer. :cry:

Considering the size of modern flash-drives I'd say anything less than 200 wouldn't cause too much fuss. You could always compress the download into a self extracting 7zip archive rather than an installer. (7 Zip is LGPL, meaning so long as you treat it like a 3rd-party library, your usage of it is fine in a closed-source app.) Also the file compression is better ( The folder ffdl-win for example, compresses to 4.29 Mb on my laptop, 4.14 if I don't make it self extracting.) Yes, 7zip is probably my favorite utility. :D
IndecisiveMe

Post by IndecisiveMe »

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I'd LOVE a download queue, like Graffer's, if possible. It makes downloading fics much quicker. I don't use the Calibre side of FFDL at all, so I can't comment on that as I'm downloading in HTML so that I can have my fics displayed the way I want them.
Raimond
Administrator

Post by Raimond »

I've never used graffer so you have to tell me how it looks like

I've created a portable version of 0.3.2:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13474460/ffdl-win-port.exe
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13474460/ffdl-win-port.zip

Rai
RedneckDrow

Post by RedneckDrow »

Updates are halted for it, apparently, and his site is gone. But you can find it here. :ugeek:

It's Great! Though it doesn't support many filetypes. It also still works on fanfiction.net. :)

Try it! :mrgreen:
IndecisiveMe

Post by IndecisiveMe »

RedneckDrow wrote:It also still works on fanfiction.net. :)
No, it doesn't still work on fanfiction.net, that's why we're switching. It will download the fics, but if you look inside them they chapter text is missing on all chapters. It started when FFnet brought in those ugly "share" icons in the body of each chapter.

If yours is still working, I'd love to know why.
RedneckDrow

Post by RedneckDrow »

If it isn't working for you, edit the output structure files. I haven't used graffer in a month, but as long as you follow the instructions for editing the html/xml output structure files, you should be ok.

Use this to edit an html/xml/other file an highlight the syntax: Notepad ++. Just select either html or xml under "language".

It supports almost every popular programming language, and has a plethora of plugins.
Raimond
Administrator

Post by Raimond »

About th Queue request:

I could offer a "Read Links from File" function.
You enter the links in a .txt file, one link per line, then click "read from file" and every story is downloaded

Rai
RedneckDrow

Post by RedneckDrow »

That works for me! I'd try it. :D